Q&A with Local Leader, Reva Johnson
Reva Johnson, Owner, UPS Store
Bio: A graduate of South Dakota State University, my master's is from Northern Illinois and I did my engineering work at California State University, Long Beach. My husband and I left South Dakota the day he finished graduate school and we had the opportunity to live in metro Chicago, St Louis, Detroit and Houston before settling in Southern California. There I was in apparel marketing and advertising before starting to work for our aerospace manufacturing company. I always say I gave up beautiful clothing for handsome stainless steel. When we sold our company we moved back to South Dakota to retire but got involved in The UPS Stores. The shops keep us busy and in Brookings has given me the opportunity to become involved in the community which has been most rewarding. I have enjoyed every minute of being back in Brookings.
- Brookings is a beautiful city with a small town atmosphere where everyone takes pride in their homes and property. I makes me smile whenever I drive into town and see the beautiful landscaping whether it be a neighborhood or the downtown and knowing I am part of this community.
- Our businesses invest in the growth of our community through Vision Brookings, the Chamber and BEDC. It is exciting to be in a community where everyone works together for the betterment of the community through long term strategic planning which creates opportunities for all.
- One of the easiest ways to support our business community is to support our Chamber of Commerce. In return The UPS Store staff has had opportunity for growth through Leadership Brookins and excellent seminars brought to us locally through the Chamber's LEAD program. Networking opportunities include mixers and the Business Expo where we can share what we do with other local businesses.
- I have been inspired by the leaders of the community who have made great decisions for the benefit of the whole. A prime example is Vision Brookings. It is truly impressive that
- Just do it. . .put yourself out there and make a difference in the community. Each of us has different experiences and abilities, a different skill set. You have something to offer that no one else has. You will find yourself surrounded by individuals who will motivate you and together you will make Brookings even better.